SEO for Squarespace: How to Optimise Your Recruitment Site
Squarespace is a popular content management system (CMS) amongst many recruiters. One common reason for this is the many SEO features built into the platform. For starters, Squarespace is mobile-friendly and it offers free SSL certificates, making it secure. It also has an automatic XML sitemap and an organised HTML and URLs.
Indeed, SEO for Squarespace is often an easy and convenient process. However, you shouldn’t let the platform do all the heavy lifting. Despite all of its many SEO capabilities, Squarespace is far from perfect. If you want to generate more traffic and lead your recruitment site, you’ll need to make an effort to optimise your site and improve its performance.
At Recruitment Traffic, we have created a quick guide to help you optimise your Squarespace site for SEO. Please consider the following tips.
1. Identify your target keywords
This could never be stressed enough, but before you start creating new pages or posting new content on your recruitment site, perform keyword research first. Keyword research enables you to discover topics and user questions related to your recruitment business. In return, this makes it easier for you to come up with relevant web content you can offer to your audience.
Keyword research also allows you to determine the search terms candidates and employers are using to find recruitment sites.
Once you’re done with keyword research, make sure to incorporate your focus keywords into the following:
- Content body
- Title tags
- Meta descriptions
- Embedded file names
- Image alt text
2. Provide valuable content
With search engines becoming more powerful and accurate, having a robust content strategy is a must. Providing your audience with valuable content lets you showcase your authority and expertise as a recruitment expert. It also helps with SEO. Research showed that websites that offer quality content regularly often get better search rankings.
Note that you should never create content just for the sake of having something on your recruitment site. To get the best results, you should:
- Create content that matches visitors’ search intent.
- Avoid forcing keywords into your content.
- Prioritise quality over quantity to avoid diluting your domain authority. Always remember that it’s better to create fewer but higher-quality content than do the opposite.
- Make your content readable and accessible by using subheadings, numbers, and bullet points.
3. Create custom title tags
Unless you create a customised title tag manually, Squarespace will use a web page’s heading and your site’s name as its default title tag. Therefore, make sure to create custom title tags to make your pages more SEO-friendly.
To customise your title tags, hover your cursor over the name of a webpage. Then, click on Settings and select the SEO tab to make your own title tags. To make your title tags SEO-friendly, you should:
- Make sure that your title tag isn’t more than 60 characters.
- Write unique and descriptive title tags.
- Incorporate keywords into your page titles.
4. Don’t forget your meta descriptions
Meta descriptions are not a ranking factor. However, they play a vital role in SEO for Squarespace. Meta descriptions provide search engines with a summary of your webpages. They also help encourage your audience to visit your recruitment site. This is why it always pays to have meta descriptions with relevant keywords and a strong call to action.
Here’s what you should do if you want to add meta descriptions to your Squarespace recruitment site:
- For your home page, go to Marketing. Then, click on SEO and select Site Meta Description.
- For individual webpages, click on Pages, followed by Page Settings. Under SEO, click on SEO Description.
- For blogs, events, or services, select the post that requires a meta description. Then, click on Edit, followed by Options. Select Excerpt and then insert the description.
5. Shorten your URLs
Since Google favours simpler and shorter URLs, you should shorten your URLs to make them more SEO-friendly. For instance, if you were to write a blog post about passing job interviews, its URL should look like this: www.abcrecruitment.co.uk/blog/job-inteview-tips.
To further optimise your URLs, follow these tips:
- Always incorporate relevant keywords into the URLs.
- Use hyphens to separate words. This will make your URLs more readable and shareable on social media.
- If you’re modifying existing URLs, make sure to have URL redirects in place.
- Squarespace usually inserts random letters and numbers into the URLs when you haven’t set the page title yet. Before you publish a page or blog post, always check the URLs for these random characters and change them accordingly.
Optimise Your Squarespace Recruitment Site
Out of the box, Squarespace comes with reliable tools that can help you get started with SEO. However, as with other content management systems, it’s vital to make a conscious effort to optimise your recruitment site to generate the amount of traffic and leads you desire. As such, consider the tips discussed above to help ensure the success of your recruitment site.
If you’re looking for more ways to optimise your Squarespace recruitment site, we at Recruitment Traffic are happy to help. Please contact us today and let us provide you with our award-winning SEO services.
Drive Your Recruitment Business Towards The Best Results.
Talk to us about how we can help.